Thursday, May 31, 2007

What's happening to my beloved country's English?!

I was reading the newspaper today, and I came across this:


Excuse me? How do you spell NOODLE? Noddle? Ok, I can accept that this is a typing error, but what's the spell checker doing? He/she ain't doing the job right, is it not?


Anyway, this isn't the first time newspaper published news with errors. But then again, this might be serious considering that a young kid might just see that news (headline ok??) and start spelling wrongly! Yeah, I think too much, blame it on boredom then.


______________________________



Does anyone watch 8tv's So you think you can dance? Well, one of the contestant is my mum's friend's son. Yeah yeah, complicated relationship, but it doesn't matter. What matter is, he said that the producers of the show actually manipulates the outcome of the results. The judges' decision to put whom into the bottom four (or six now I am not too sure) is being determined by the producers. Guess what happens next? Yes, racist results. Who's racist you say? Well, watch the show for just one night, who gets into the bottom placing even though they outclassed the others in dancing will then determine your answer.


Oh, the emcee for that show, some malay lady, is extremely bad. The show's title is in English, therefore I don't think anyone can have the perception that this show will be entirely conducted in English. Well, you are WRONG! The judges speak malay, and if they speak English, they struggle for the suitable words. As for the emcee, half the time (or more!) she will be speaking in malay, the other half of the time (or less, definitely) she will be speaking horrible English. She can't even pronounce the words correctly, let alone the title of the show! Excuse me? Who will be interested in watching the show if the emcee can't even pronounce the title of the show accurately?! Can't they use other people who can speak perfect English as the emcee? Or these people are too highly paid because of their language proficiency? My guess is yes, they demand more wages. Prove me wrong, anyone?

No comments: