Monday, August 27, 2007

A week has slipped by...

After a week in Drake University, I finally started my first class, BUS 003, which is Strategic Business Planning or something like that. For those people in INTI, if you think LAN class is a lot of people, you must join this class. It's a lecture hall, those huge lecture hall which I have always dreamt of entering, and there are easily a hundred people in the class. I must say, it was great.

Our lecturer was quite nice I must say. Well, yes, it's the first class only, but I think he will be good.

As Borgy told me, classes here are either 50 minutes class or 1 hour 15 minutes class, except if that's a night class. You can say that's insufficient time, but I would say that is efficient use of time. It may seem too short for a class, but human's concentration power ain't that powerful, is it? At least these sort of timing will keep us, or me, up in the class. Lol.

My second class was Statistics II, and my lecturer is Mr. Rahul Parsa. Yes, he's an Indian, from India I think. He has a thick accent. No, not American accent, but Indian accent. He's not too bad, or at least his first impression for me wasn't too bad. Sad to say, I think I must brush up on my Stats I, because I was a little lost in the class. There's a faint impression of those functions and equations, but somehow it's just a slight memory of it. I guess doing more home work will bring back those important but unwanted memories. =p

There are 4 classes tomorrow, which I think it will sap up a lot of concentration power. Lol. I hope it won't be too bad though. There are a few things in American education system, which Borgy always imply.

First, punctuality. They hate it when people come late into class. Really really hate it.

Next, attendance. If you miss a class here, you will be so lost after that. And if you do miss more than a week's classes, it's advisable to just drop the class, because it will either be a very bad grade or the lecturer will give you an 'F'.

Another thing, participation. Borgy never really imply this, but I learnt this through an English course I took a few years back, which was based on American education system. Here, lecturers expect you to participate in class. To them, asking question is the best flattery. (quoted from Mr. Randall Blum.)

Therefore, if you participate in class, be punctual, and get full attendance, the chances of you scoring in the class is very high I must say.

Buying text books here is a pain in the arse. The University Bookstore has all the books, EVERYTHING. But, yes, a big but, the book store is for rich people only. Books there are really expensive, whatmore if we convert it back to Ringgit!

As a result, we get our books online. All you need is a credit/debit card, and MONEY. Lolz. I must say it's pretty convenient. I have already bought 4 text books online, but they haven't reach me yet though. I hope it'll turn out as expected. Anyone interested in buying text books from me next semester? I will be selling books for IS 044, IS 101, and maybe FIN 101. =p (drop me a comment or email to reserve! lmao)

Basketball is a big sport in Drake I would say. And everyone who play basketball is very good. Yes, very good. Don't believe me? They only need half a second to take a shot, and field goal percentage for 2-pointers is around 80 to 90 percent! Give them a step's gap and they will score in your face! Another thing, they shoot 3-pointers for team, and we Malaysian only shoot free throws, which still take ages. Their 3-pointers are as sharp as those in NBA!! They only shoot? No no. They can dunk! Yes, DUNK! For the first time in my life, I have seen people slam dunk, live, right in front of me. It's a sight to behold, and there's more to come. I can't wait for a Drake basketball match! =D

There's another thing I must mention here. The girls. Hahaa... Saw that coming didn't you? I have only been here for a week, and there are quite a number of chicks! =p Just take today for example. There's this girl who caught my eye during lunch. Well, I haven't got to know her yet, not sure if I will know her, but a few friends of mine said she's pretty as well! =p Well, no offence to Malaysian girls, and not that Malaysia have no chicks, but I must say there are more chicks here than in Malaysia. =p

After a week here, I must say I like this place. Yes, it's a whole new foreign land to me, and there are many sacrifices along the way to get here, but I wouldn't gain anything if I don't sacrifice anything, would I? Yes, I don't get to hug my family, a great distance is in between me and them; I don't get anymore mamak here, or Malaysian food; I don't get to see so many of my friends, though quite a number of them are here and I am slowly but surely expanding my network; but in turn I get a priceless experience of studying abroad; experience how to take control of my life, my spending, my time etc; experience doing a lot of stuffs on my own; expand my network of friends internationally (lol); and many other priceless experience. Let the fun begin, and hope my journey of life will be a journey that I am proud to share with everyone! Cheers!!

No comments: