Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Neighbors, a pain in the arse or a helping hand in bad times?

There's one thing about living in a terrace house which defines heaven or hell -- neighbors. Sometimes, you get a taste of both heaven and hell!! Lolz.

Well, unfortunately for me, I've got a taste of both.

At first it was heaven. Everytime we happen to meet anyone of their family in the front yard, we greet each other, occasionaly stop what we were doing just for a light hearted chat. Whenever they have kenduri, we were invited. Of course, my mum doesn't want to organize any party herself due to the tedious work, therefore we never invite them to any party at our house. =p Sharing stuffs and some times cooking a little extra for each other was nice.

But, after a few years, things start to take a down turn. Sharing of food gradually vanish; chats become lesser; even greetings were limited! Well, not that we don't want to greet them, just that whenever we greet them, we get a cold stare. Therefore, ignorance is best at times. It was then that all the negative traits of this neighbor start to show.

No more helping hand at taking in the clothes whenever rain comes; very limited greetings; they even send an anonymous letter to my opposite neighbor claiming that they were too noisy with the piano! (well, my opposite neighbor asked around who send the letter and they indirectly admit it was them.)

The worst of all was the offensive odor they were sending out. I don't actually know what they cook, but whenever they start to fry things, the stench is unbearable! Even my other neighbor couldn't stand it! (I am not alone, you see. =p)

Besides the cooking, both the father and son smoke ciggarettes like a chimney during winter. Therefore, we as a victim, could only enclose ourselves in our house to avoid inhaling second hand smoke.

There are a thousand more negative images for them, but I guess it's not worth ranting it out here. Fortunately for me, I am leaving this house in 11 days, to a foreign land where I shall make home for at least two years. Looks like this neighborhood image is tainted by a single bad apple. I wonder what will happen when I leave. Sigh.

No comments: