Monday, April 30, 2007

Passport Renewal

I went to renew my passport today, at 9.45am. Upon reaching the place, I saw a queue of people outside the main entrance. No choice, no turning back at that point. Queing up itself took about 45 minutes. What I saw (those people queing outside) was just one third of the queue! Queue up for what? Just to take the number for my turn. Yeap, whole 45 minutes of standing behind a guy who seems like he didn't know the existence of soap, or rather did not know there's something call shower. Upon taking the number, the guy at the counter told me this:

Guy : datang pukul dua.
Me : pukul wh- what?! 2?!
Guy : ya. Dua.

After queing up for 45 minutes I am supposed to come back at 2pm?! What the hell?! It was 10.30am at that point, and waiting there for 3 and 1/2 hours is pointless. Therefore, waste petrol and parking money, I end up at home. What nonsense!!

Went back there at 2pm sharp, only to know I was made to wait another hour or more. I met a friend of mine, whose number was about 50 more than mine. Both of us was made to wait till cobwebs start building around us. To add salt to the wound, the centralize air conditioning system was down, making the area stuffy and hot. Imagine more than 250 people cramming into an enclosed area no larger than a football pitch, only having one main entrance without any windows, and only using fan for air circulation!! The body odour everyone is emitting has no mercy!!

Finally it was my turn, and I was assigned to this counter where the person behind it should be a trainee, or maybe someone new. I asked if there was discount for student, he said yes and I gave him all the required documents, except my old passport which was under a paper, prompting me to forget about it. Luckily I came to my senses and produced the expired passport in time, if not I would not know what will happen. He then showed another senior lady further behind the counter my university offer letter. Both of them stared at the letter and tried to look as if they understand what was written on it. Heck! It is written in english for god's sake! Yet it took them ages to see that it is an offer letter. I doubt if they even understand one tenth of the letter, and my doubt was answered when the guy asked where is Drake University located in the States. Right below the letter, there was the word Iowa. What a shame to themselves, ain't it?

It took me another half an hour for my turn to make payment, and I still can't get the passport. I was asked to return on Thursday evening!! (Tuesday and Wednesday are public holiday) Can't they get it done by Thursday morning?!

And here the government proudly proclaimed that passport can be made in two hours. Say what??

No comments: