Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Malaysian perspective of food

Someone asked me this: "How come you never update your blog?" Did my previous post lapse that long? I wonder. Anyway, succumb to pressure you can say, I decided to post something today.

As Malaysians, we cannot, I repeat, can NOT, live without food. I must say, Malaysians generally live to eat. The food we can get in Malaysia is quite unique. Don't believe me? Tell me, where else on Earth can you get food like asam laksa, nasi lemak, roti canai, curry mee, or even maggi mee? Well, you may get maggi mee some where else other than Malaysia, but it does not taste the same as the one in Malaysia. Roti canai is unique to Malaysians, because India only have capati, not roti canai. =)

Why am I suddenly talking about food? Well, the answer is clear. I don't fancy the food here. It is either too bland or too salty. Yes, it is that bad after having 20 years of great food, what more, Malaysian food! The closest food we can get to Malaysian food is the fried rice here, which still taste quite a distance off from the fried rice we get in Malaysia.

The food here are quite easy to prepare. Everything here is either throw into the pan together or wrap it all up together. Okay, maybe the pasta is different. Guess what, I can count how many good meals I have had here in US! First is the pasta, which wasn't that bad. Then there is the roast pork on gravy, which I personally think that it was very nice. Another one is when I went off campus to a Mexican restaurant. This is the best meal I have had by far, and the most satisfying. Thanks to Grace who brought us there. =)

So, if you are in Malaysia and in the process of transferring to US, remember to enjoy and treasure Malaysian food to the best you can! Yes, I must admit, I miss Malaysian food very much, very very much. Anyone kind enough to courier over some for me? =p

Disclaimer: the title only stands for me as a Malaysian, not every Malaysian. =)

No comments: