Friday, September 21, 2007

Time management

After being stressed out with some ridiculous assignment and two tests, I finally get to de-stress and debrief a little here.

Studies studies. The way of studying in a university and college and high school is so so different.

I still remembered how I was studying for high school's public examination. All I did? Paid attention in the last few classes of the year, skipped class the last few weeks to hang out with friends, and start to flip through the books in the last 24 hours. Now you know why the shirt in the earlier post fitted me, right? I am hooked on laziness!

After that, I ended up in college. The first semester was a breeze, partly because the subjects were easy enough. I screwed up the second semester, since then I started to recover from the dramatic drop of CGPA. It wasn't until my 5th semester that I managed to get it to satisfactory level. After using that semester's result to apply for entry to university, I didn't care much to maintain the CGPA. The way I studied here varied. I paid more attention to some subjects, then there are some subjects which I just do last minute revision. Heck, I even skipped so many classes for breakfast one semester! It was fun though.

After college came the emotional departure from home in Malaysia to bring my arse all the way to the proud land of United States of America. It's only 1 month and 2 days here, with 3 weeks into classes, and I am starting to feel the heat. Well, the work load is way higher than college and high school. I think that's what everyone should expect, isn't it? Here, studying before class is expected, which till now I haven't even done it! If I did it, I wouldn't struggle before the test! To add salt to wound, I had two test on the same day, with an hour gap in between, after two other classes for the day, and an assignment to hand in. I was trying hard to study, finish the assignment, keeping my eyes open, and holding up my head from the headache I was suffering from. I couldn't stand the pressure, but luckily I don't go beserk. Ice cream and a poor guy became my victim. Thanks to him who spent time talking to me when he was quite busy as well.

In the end, the tests wasn't as tough as expected, though I ought to put in more effort. One more test coming up next Tuesday, 8 am in the morning! Ruining all my sleeping time! The question whether should I change my major kept running through my mind, keeping me unsure of what I am pursuing. My dreams seem so far away from reach! If only I have more time. Well, time management is important in university I must say. Maybe I have learnt my lesson this week; maybe I must arrange my time better; maybe I should cut down on my social activities, possibly make it to the least possible, or zero. Well, no sacrifice no victory, right?

Anyhow, I think the best thing that happened to me this week was I didn't break down and gave up right away. Luckily I still managed to stand up and face the challenge, and now learnt my lesson. A test next week, and my professional paper in 6 weeks time, I guess I should really manage my time more wisely and pay more attention to studies, shouldn't I?

No comments: