Tuesday, March 6, 2007

(Oh My) Malaysia

My my! What is wrong with the Malaysian government? First you set a limit for the number of subject in the public examinations for high school (SPM), and then you break it; next you came up with the National Service (NS), and many problems arise with it; then along came the ban on firecrackers, but do you know what is the problem?? Let me tell you.

The outrageous number of 1A, or distinction, a person can get for SPM led to the government to limit the number of subjects a student can take. Well, that is a good move, as these students with an extreme number of 1A does not actually always reflects excellent studies. Think about this, what does it reflect when someone actually take about 5 subjects regarding to religion? The result for SPM is coming out soon, and there is a newspaper report stating that someone is capable, and most likely, to score 19 1A's for it. In that 19 subjects, 5 are religion studies. Does that make sense to you? Well, it does not make sense to me! Besides that, didn't the Ministry of Education set the limit that a student is not allowed to take that many subjects? Don't you think you are going against your own policy? This is what a chinese proverb states, 自相矛盾. Direct translation, self mutual spear shield. In other words, to be self-contradictory. Go check this proverb out at http://www.bingchen.com/content/view/62/66/.

The next issue, National Service (NS). It is a good move for the government to install the NS program in order to promote patriotism. But, with all the problems for it, don't you know how to solve it? For example, this year's NS program, they screw up the transportation. The buses supposed to ferry the students to the camp were in a mess, causing havoc. As a result, they don't provide any more transport for the students. This caused these students to face transportation trouble. If your family is in Peninsular Malaysia and your camp is in Sarawak, you need to fork out your own money for the transportation??! That's unfair! Another issue regarding to NS, too many deaths!! I do not know about other countries, but generally in my mind NS should not cause any deaths! I think the government should either abort the program, or make it applicable to males only. It's not that I am prejudice against females, but I think they should not be forced to join this program. They can volunteer to join, but must be at will and not by the random selection of the government. (Hey, I like females too ok? Lolz) Another thing they must look into is, the discipline of the program. First the head of the camp or the instructors are perverted or indiscipline (some, not all). Then there are some students, especially girls, who tend to flirt with these instructors, causing unwanted troubles such as rape cases or molestation. The punishment against such acts? Well, it is not made clear to the public but I can't help guessing that it is very light punishment. Justice what?

Lastly, the issue of fire crackers. Chinese New Year was about two weeks ago, and just this previous Sunday was the 15th of the lunar calendar, signifying the last day of Chinese New Year. But, unfortunately enough, this year's CNY was exceptionally quiet. The government came up with the ban on fire crackers. Heck, it is only the chinese, or rather only during CNY, that fire crackers come together with the celebrations. Stick to the origin, does Hari Raya celebrations come with fire crackers? Or does Deepavali celebrates together with fire crackers? They have NO reason to ban fire crackers. The reason why CNY is celebrated with fire crackers is because they want so scare of the monster that comes during CNY. Yes, I do agree that that is a traditional view point, but does that signify a point to ban the playing of fire crackers? Besides that, most chinese BUY fire crackers, and not make it themselves. C'mon, tell me who are those who get injured with self-made fire crackers? With this unusually quiet CNY over, many articles about it surfaced, especially in newspaper columns. I seriously think that the government should allow fire crackers during CNY. It may sound unfair to other religion if fire cracker is to be allowed only during CNY, but what's the point of them playing fire crackers during their religious celebrations?

Well, I am still living in this country. Therefore you may say I am blind towards the beauty of this country. But then again, if my country has these problems, do you think I, who lived here before leaving to another country, can let go of these thoughts behind my head? I haven't experience living in another country yet, but I seriously doubt so. Serious matter like these do actually tarnish our country's name. Yet there are other issues about negative matter arising recently, most of which I do not have any right to say about it. Why? Mostly because I do not want to get involved in any insulting comments. Bribe me anyone? Sigh...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good evening

Thanks for sharing, I have digged this post