Friday, January 18, 2008

My winter break 2007-08

There goes my winter break, four more days and it’s the start of the new semester. How am I feeling now? Well, looking forward for the start of my second semester in Drake, but also wish the holidays could be longer and I have more money to spend! =p


How was New York City? Well, let’s just say first impression does not always show the true side of life. Remember I said I didn’t like the way those yellow cabs fight for customers? Well, that’s my first impression of New York City, and my mind quickly summarized that I don’t like NYC because of the competitive lifestyle. Well, I was dead wrong about NYC!


Here, I met some wonderful people, expanded my friendship and also experience. We can practically get almost everything you want in NYC. Malaysian food? Of course. Asian food? Definitely. American food? Yeah, of course! Mexican? European? Everything is here! Tourist destinations? They have a bunch of it. Jobs? Why would they be shortage of jobs? Yes, it’s that good. No wonder there are ‘I love NY’ merchandise.


Going up to the observation deck of the Empire State Building at sunset was an eye opener; looking at the Manhattan skyline at Liberty Island was wonderful; blurry eyes at Times Square’s famous neon lights was amazing; riding the well layout subway was great. Really, NYC is a place worth visiting.


Food you ask? I finally have taste of Malaysian food! There are no shortages of Korean food, Japanese food, and even home cooked food! Well, I am lucky to have Rachel’s uncle and auntie to take care of our accommodation, and that’s where I got my home cooked food.

NYC is also a shopping heaven. If there’s not enough to shop in NYC, take a train to New Jersey, or better still, Woodbury Premium Outlet at New Jersey. I shopped quite a lot this trip I must say. I finally got my white jeans, which cost me a bomb. But I love it, so I guess it’s a reward for me. =p I even got myself a white beanie, but unfortunately I lost it before I even get back to Des Moines. Lesson learnt I guess. Don’t hold beanie in your hand; wear them on your head!


But I guess the most rewarding gift during this trip is being able to meet some wonderful people and call them my friends. A big thanks to Wesley who brought us around New Jersey and let us have a taste of great Malaysian food. Another thank you goes out to Kay Ying who introduced us to her wonderful friends, and also allows us to stay in the apartment next to Rachel’s uncle’s apartment. She also brought us lots of laughter, and it was quite sad when we sent her off at the airport to Hong Kong.


Of course, thank you to Randy, Fred, and Rachel is a must. Without them, I wouldn’t be visiting NYC. Thank you to other people I have met, which are Wai Yipp, Wendy, Ming Kuan, and Collin. The biggest thank you will be to our dear Paris. Lol. It wouldn’t be so enjoyable if we have not met her. She brought us around, let us bully, and provide loads of laughter and memorable moments. Really, thank you to everyone who made this trip so enjoyable.

If there’s a job offer in NYC in the near future, I will most probably be jumping on the opportunity to go back to NYC again. I love NY!

No comments: